čtvrtek 30. července 2009

Tolstolobik - Толстолобик

Tolstolobik (or flat head carp) is a forgotten and neglected fish, which is a big shame in my opinion. This fish has 3 huge priorities -
1. It's cheap
2. It's tasty
3. It has the highest content of Omega-3 fatty acids of all fresh water fish common in Europe.
I sometimes buy it when I see fillets or steaks sold, I don't buy whole fishes because they tend to be very big. Tolstolobik doesn't have this "muddy" flavour and smell that turns many people away from carp but is somewhat dryer, because it contains much less fat. Its meat is delicate and I wouldn't recommend grilling or frying it, it tends to fall apart.
I found this recipe at http://manek.bloguje.cz/, which is a great Czech resource on cooking local and imported fish. Thanx for sharing the recipe Mr. Mánek! I amended the recipe a bit because I used fillets instead of steaks and there was more fish than in the original recipe.


Ingredients:
1,2 kg of tolstolobik fillets or steaks
5 tablespoons of parsley
4 tablespoons of mustard - I used Maille dijon mustard (my faourite mustard)
2 cloves of garlic - czech garlic I mean, if you use chinese garlic you will need at least 5 cloves
5 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
some butter - about 100gr cut into very thin slices
salt, pepper

Preparation:
Season the fish with salt and minced garlic and let stand (1-3 hours). Place the parsley and breadcrumbs into a a foodprocessor and mince. Put the parsley/breadcrumbs mixture onto a wide plate and let dry fro a couple of hours as the fish marinates.
Sear the fish on a hot pan with some oil (flesh down a very hot pan and fry until a brown crust forms). Remove from pan and smear a very thin layer of mustard on it. Coat the fish in the parsley breadcrumbs , put into a baking dish, put a little butter over each piece and bake for 25-35 minutes in a preheated oven at 200C. Serve and enjoy!
Of course other fish can be prepared this way too!

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat